Beyond The Brownie: 3 Versatile Cannabis Recipes
Since THC binds best onto lipids (e.g. butter, coconut, olive, or vegetable oil), a supply of cannabutter is a must-have for any aspiring home chef. It’s a requisite in recipes ranging from tea to chocolate-dipped strawberries to next-level mac ‘n’ cheese. Here’s how to make your own.
1 quart of water
2 sticks of butter
1⁄2 oz. cannabis (or more, depending on your tastes)
Heatproof bowl or plastic container
Approximate prep/cooking time: 4 hours
1. In a medium saucepan, bring a quart of water to a boil. You can vary the amounts: just be sure that the cannabis is always floating about 1 1⁄2 – 2 inches from the bottom of the pan.
2. When the water is boiling, place the butter in the pan and allow it to melt completely. This recipe uses 4 sticks of butter to every ounce of cannabis, so if you’re using a 1⁄2 ounce, that’s about 2 sticks of butter. You can adjust the amounts to reflect your preferences.
3. Once butter has melted, add the cannabis and turn down the heat very, very low, to barely a simmer. Simmer for around three hours. You can tell it’s done when the top of the mix turns from watery to glossy and thick.
4.While the cannabutter is cooking, set up a heatproof bowl or plastic container to hold the finished product. Place a double layer of cheesecloth over the top, and secure it with elastic, string or tape.
5. Carefully strain the butter over the bowl. When the saucepan is empty, undo the twine, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze out all of the remaining butter.
6. Allow the cannabutter to cool for an hour, then place in the fridge until the butter has risen to the top layer and is solid. The THC and other properties have attached to the butter: you’re almost there!
7. Run a knife around the edge and lift the butter off. Place upside down on your work surface and scrape off any of the cooking water.
Your cannabutter is ready to go. Enjoy!
Adapted from The Cannabist
Toss it with pasta, spread it on a pizza or sandwich, mix it in with a viagarette: cannabis pesto is an easy and versatile way to add extra kick to dinner tonight.
3 – 6 cups fresh basil
3 – 8 grams weed (depending on your tastes)
¾ cup freshly-grated parmesan cheese
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
Approximate prep time: 30 minutes
Cannabis Simple Syrup
This cannabis-infused simple syrup serves triple-duty: extra punch for your mojito, a medium to candy the peel of citrus fruits, or whip up some killer sorbet. This recipe yields 12 total doses with 20mg of THC each.
3 cups filtered water
3 cups fine granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable glycerine or propylene glycol (available at health stores)
2 grams finely ground cannabis
Approximate prep time: 50 mins
1.Place 3 cups water in a pan and bring to a boil.
2. Add sugar to boiling water and stir until completely dissolved.
3. Add ground cannabis.
4. Cover and let boil for 30 minutes.
5. Reduce temperature to medium heat. Add glycerin.
6. Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
7. Using French press or cheesecloth, strain liquid into a bowl.
8. Let syrup cool, and use.
Yields: about 3 cups.