Oliver Kingston is a former professional golfer turned etiquette coach. With his extensive experience in the sports world, Oliver provides unique insights into the unspoken rules and norms of various sports, particularly golf. His mission is to help others enjoy sports while maintaining respect and sportsmanship.
Using a sauna at the gym can be a wonderful way to relax and unwind after a workout. It's important, however, to be mindful of proper sauna etiquette to ensure a comfortable and respectful experience for everyone. Here are some guidelines to follow when using a sauna at the gym:
1. Shower before entering the sauna: It's essential to take a quick shower before entering the sauna. This helps maintain cleanliness and ensures that you're not bringing any dirt or sweat into the sauna.
2. Bring a towel: Always bring a towel with you into the sauna. This is not only for personal hygiene but also to sit or lie on. It helps create a barrier between your body and the sauna bench, preventing direct contact with sweat.
3. Respect personal space: When entering the sauna, choose an area that allows for personal space. If there are already people inside, try to find a spot where you won't invade someone else's personal space. It's important to respect others' privacy and personal boundaries.
4. Keep conversations minimal: Saunas are generally quiet spaces meant for relaxation. While it's okay to exchange a few words, keep conversations to a minimum and speak softly. This allows everyone to enjoy a peaceful and tranquil environment.
5. Limit your sauna session: Sauna sessions should typically last between 10 and 15 minutes. Prolonged exposure to high temperatures can be uncomfortable and even harmful. If you're new to saunas, start with shorter sessions and gradually increase the time as your body becomes accustomed to the heat.
6. Stay hydrated: It's crucial to stay hydrated while using a sauna. Bring a water bottle with you and take small sips of water during your session. Avoid alcohol or heavy meals before using the sauna, as they can dehydrate your body.
7. Use a towel to sit or lie on: To maintain cleanliness, always sit or lie on your towel. This helps prevent direct contact between your body and the sauna bench, minimizing the spread of sweat and bacteria.
8. Refrain from using personal care products: Avoid using personal care products such as lotions, oils, or perfumes in the sauna. These products can be irritating to others and may leave residue on the sauna benches.
9. Be mindful of others: Remember that the sauna is a shared space. Be considerate of others and avoid behaviors that may make them uncomfortable, such as loud talking, excessive sweating, or taking up too much space.
10. Exit the sauna if you feel unwell: If you start feeling dizzy, lightheaded, or unwell in any way, exit the sauna immediately. It's important to listen to your body and prioritize your well-being.
Using a sauna at the gym can be a rejuvenating experience when done with proper etiquette. By following these guidelines, you'll ensure a respectful and enjoyable sauna session for yourself and others. So go ahead, relax, and enjoy the benefits of the sauna after your workout!