‘It Looked Just Like A Normal Chocolate Bar’: 4‑Year-Old Hospitalized After Eating Cannabis Edible
A four-year-old girl from Nova Scotia was admitted to the hospital recently after accidentally eating 15 pieces of a cannabis-infused chocolate bar. That’s 15 times the recommended dose for an adult based on the edible’s potency, but the kindergartener had no idea because “it looked just like a normal chocolate bar,” according to a police report.
The little girl has since been released from medical care, but her family isn’t out of the woods yet. The RCMP said they are still investigating the matter, “including determining whether charges will be laid in this case,” CTV News reported.
Hopefully this will be an isolated incident, but it’s likely that we’ll see unfortunate repeats if parents aren’t careful about storing cannabis edibles, which the federal government plans to legalize in 2019 — a move that is getting mixed reviews from the public.
“Many questions linger about the distinct dangers that edibles pose, particularly for children,” Professor Sylvain Charlebois of Nova Scotia’s Dalhousie University wrote in an article for ‘The Conversation’ earlier this month.
At the same time, there is strong demand for edibles, which will be a big part of the retail market for marijuana.
“With adequate safety measures, edibles present a hugely profitable opportunity for the Canadian food industry,” Charlebois added. “No one really knows for certain what the market potential is for cannabis, much less for edibles, but growth opportunities are palatable.”
In the US edibles have proven to be a big piece of the legal cannabis market, and there’s no reason to believe things will be any different in Canada. But to keep to keep that sector of the industry safe, parents must make sure to store their infused snacks out of reach of children.
Cannabis for Beginners — What is THC?